Are you bored with your winter clothes? It happens every spring. Thank goodness the weather is getting warmer in Albuquerque and we can shed some layers! Are you ready to revamp your closet? If you’re a savvy shopper on a budget, there’s no time like the present to hit up local Goodwill stores and thrift your way to savings for spring basics.
It’s true. Fashion can be overwhelming, especially for those without a lot to spend. Luckily, New Mexico’s Goodwill stores offer lots of trendy pieces that never go out of style, all at thrift store prices. This post will guide you to some universal staples that every girl should have in her closet. These pieces are adaptable, great for nearly any event, and require minimal fashion accessory supplements, and best of all- they’re all readily available at a neighborhood Goodwill store.
1. A pair of black high heels Black high heels are one of my go to pieces. You can instantly dress up even the most basic combo of denim and a blouse with the right pair of shoes. Whether you’re heading to the office or an after hours event, black high heels go with anything and instantly elevate your look.
2. Black cocktail dress You’ve heard it once, you’ve heard it a thousand times - have a “little black dress” go-to for any event. A black cocktail dress is casual enough for spring and summer barbecues on the back porch, but easily adaptable for an evening out or a work function. When you’re equipped with the right dress from Goodwill, you’re ready to take on anything.
3. A pair of dark wash jeans Casual Fridays? Easy. Grocery shopping on Sunday afternoon? They’ve got you covered. A sophisticated pair of jeans in a dark wash are comfortable as well as classy. Pair them with a t-shirt and head to an Isotopes game or put on a work appropriate blouse and you’re ready to ease into the office. Denim is easy and versatile, and perfect for the warm days and cool nights of spring.
4. A basic pencil skirt The pencil skirt is a universally flattering look that is easy to come by on the expansive racks of any thrift store worth its salt. This classic look is perfect for a morning espresso in Nob Hill when paired with a short sleeve blouse, or brings together a classy work-ready combo with a colorful sweater. Keep the color of your skirt basic and you go with a top of any pattern or color.
5. Black flats Comfort is key in lots of scenarios. Be ready for an impromptu walk along the Bosque or just about anything with these key versatile shoes. Dress them up, or dress them down! Just like everything on our list, you can find these easily at Goodwill and get tons of use out of them this spring!
Enjoy the season with us at Goodwill and amplify your style with these basics, too! Have questions about what we do and where to shop? Get in touch with Goodwill Industries of New Mexico!
About the Author
Maggie Grimason is a blog writer living in Albuquerque, NM. She grew up in a family of social servants and teachers in northern Indiana and finds that blogging for Goodwill Industries of New Mexico satisfies creative energies as well as her commitment to ethical living and community service.
Heels in the "Collections by GW" section
Coldwater Creek dark wash jeans
Textured skirt found at 5000 San Mateo location