With winter nearing an end, millions of Americans are gearing up for the annual de-hibernation ritual known as spring cleaning. This year, Goodwill Industries of New Mexico is encouraging everyone to think of the spring-cleaning season as both a time to offer a fresh start for your closets, and to help give individuals seeking employment their fresh start. By donating clothing and households goods to Goodwill®, you can ensure your spring cleaning refuse gets diverted from landfills and helps to fund job training and placement programs for individuals right here in New Mexico.
So you’re ready for spring cleaning but where do you start! We are offering seven places to start your search for items that just have to go!
1. Closet Clutter – Every closet in your home holds items no longer used, totally forgotten about or maybe even broken. It’s all good to donate to Goodwill because we recycle unusable items.
2. Kitchen Clean Up – Gather old appliances, used plastic containers, unused utensil, plates, cups and the dusty juicer, and you’ve just made space in the most important room in the house.
3. Holiday Hoarding – Here’s a place we all neglect. If you haven’t used it to decorate for more than two years, let it go. Hint: strings of broken Christmas lights are great for recycling!
4. Extra Electronics – Remember that old Blackberry from 2006? Yes, we had one too, but seriously, you aren’t going to use it again. We love to recycle old electronics.
5. Too Many Toys – Assuming you’re a parent, we probably don’t need to explain the benefit of tossing out unused toys. Think on the bright side; you will make room for more toys!
6. Media Download – Often overlooked is the media library. Do you have old tapes, a set of motivational DVDs or Workout Mania videos? Rejoice and download all of these into your donation box.
7. Bookshelf Blowout – Is your collection of reading material bursting at the seams? If you have never read it or read it 20 times, perhaps it would be ok to donate it to someone else who appreciates literature or has more shelf space.
Locate the attended donation center closest to you. And remember, all donations are tax deductible. Donation receipts provided to all donors. Curious about the value of your donation? Calculate the value of your spring cleaning donation